Prozac- Insomnia Treatment
Prozac (Fluoxetine) is belongs SSRI class of medicines, which is used to treat several conditions such as depression, bulimia, panic disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) etc.Â Like all SSRIs, it can trigger insomnia which can be severe during the initial days of taking the medicine. Prozac-insomnia treatment involves making lifestyle changes, adjusting the dosage of Prozac , waiting till the insomnia subsides or switching to a different medicine.
About 19% of the patients who take Prozac can suffer from insomnia. In fact, insomnia is the most common side effect of Prozac. It was observed that people who take Prozac for bulimia are more likely to suffer from insomnia than people who take Prozac for panic attacks.
Here are a few tips to overcome Prozac induced insomnia:
- Waiting till your body gets used to Prozac is suggested. It may take 1 to 4 weeks for your body to get adjusted to the medication. Until that time, you may experience insomnia. After this period, you may overcome insomnia
- Try taking Prozac during the day rather than the night. The time gap will allow the side-effects of the medication to wear off, and you may be able get rid ofÂ insomnia
- If the above two approaches do not solve the problem, your doctor may adjust the dosage of Prozac. He/she may also switch you to a different medication
Many people taking Prozac can benefit greatly if they make lifestyle changes such as:
- Having regular sleeping pattern – sleeping and waking up at the same time daily
- Keeping the bedroom conducive for sleeping, with low nose, light and proper temperature
- Avoiding caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, heavy dinner, or exercise before bedtime
- Having pre-sleeping rituals such as reading a book, having a warm bath, or listening to music
Prozac-Insomnia is common and if the problem becomes severe speak to your doctor who can adjust the dosage or change the medication.