Premenstrual Insomnia Treatment – How to treat Premenstrual Insomnia ?
Some people are not aware of their temporary insomnia occurring due to the premenstrual conditions. In such cases, you may consider a few other signs that can be associated with your sleeplessness, like frequent mood swings, increase in the frequency and severity of anger and irritability, depression etc. All these signs are related to the hormone progesterone, which affects the sleep.
You may consider medical advise if these conditions become troublesome or persist for longer time. Some medications may be considered which can effectively control such conditions. A few doctors also advise taking oral contraceptive pills.
Understanding your sleeping patterns would help you find the relation with your menstrual cycle. Then you may find solutions and plan strategies to improve your lifestyle and sleeping patterns. We have noted a few such strategies below.
- Avoid excessive daytime sleeping.
- Try going to bed early during menstrual periods so that you can give more time to sleep.
- Moderate exercise also helps, but do not strain yourself during periods.
- Make a habit of completing your work or any physically exhaustive activity at least 3 hours before your bedtime.
Avoid consuming caffeine
- Do not consume caffeine in the evening. It can disturb your sleep.
- Caffeine is found in coffee, chocolate and sodas. Some bottled waters also have it in them.
- Caffeine can take 6-8 hours from our body metabolism. So any such stimulant must be avoided to influence sleeping patterns.
- Beverages with caffeine as an ingredient can increase premenstrual bloating.
- Most women prefer drinking in the evening during menstruation so that they can fall asleep easily but, drinking alcohol will result in fragmented sleep.
- Alcohol can also increase premenstrual bloating and disrupt sleep.
- Drink fluids in plenty.
- Do not eat larger meals, eat in small quantities but frequently.
- Do not eat just before your bedtime. It may cause indigestion, heartburn, poor sleep, frequent urination and many more such undesirable conditions.
- Avoid eating spicy and fatty foods.