How to Stop Drooling in Sleep
Drooling in sleep can happen due to many factors like sleeping in wrong postures, dental issues and illness. When you are at rest, the whole body will be in relaxed state. The mouth will be opened wide not only for rest, but also for taking in more oxygen. Drooling in sleep can only become a severe problem when it often disturbs sleep, affecting the quality of sleep. Many people suffer from this irritating condition. The following article gives you some tips concerning how to stop drooling in sleep.
- When you sleep with your mouth open, the salivary glands get activated and this causes increased salivation in your sleep. To avoid this, you should try to sleep closing your mouth.
- You need to change sleep positions often. For instance, if you tend to sleep on the side, change the position by lying on your back. This lowers the risk of dripping of saliva from the mouth. Keep your head in elevated position by using more pillows.
- An effective tip is to breathe through nose. Most of the people who breath through mouth drivel during sleep. Therefore, make sure you will not indulge in breathing through mouth, especially in the daytime.
- If you tend to breath through your mouth only then, try to adopt different breathing exercises. The effectual way is to breathe through your nose and de-stress yourself.
- If you suffer from nasal allergies, sinus infections and such similar conditions, then get treated at the earliest. As untreated postnasal drip and nasal congestion can cause drooling in sleep.
- Sometimes, even certain medications cause excess saliva production. If this is the case, you need to consult your physician as soon as possible.
Drooling in sleep is not just a matter of embarrassment when you share your bed with others, but it even increases build up of saliva and liquid in the lungs. Therefore, try to follow the above given tips concerning how to stop drooling in sleep. Hope they will be helpful in controlling and preventing drooling in sleep.