Preparing for your appointment
Here’s some information to help you get ready for your appointment, and what to expect from your doctor. What you can do –
- Be aware of any requests before an appointment like keeping a sleep diary. Record your sleep patterns, number of hour’s slept, awake time, nap time, and how you feel during the day.
- Note you’re Symptoms: Note down the signs and symptoms that you experience, even if it is not related to insomnia.
- Personal Information: This includes ongoing or new health problems, recent life changes, or major stresses.
- Medications: Let your doctor know about any supplements like vitamins that you’re taking.
- Take your Bed partner along: If possible your doctor might want you to talk to your bed partner to know more about your sleeping pattern.
For insomnia, some basic questions to ask your doctor include:
- What are the causes for my insomnia?
- What are best treatment options?
- I have these health conditions. How can I manage them together?
- What will the cost of my insurance cover be if I go to a sleep clinic?
- Do you have any printed material or brochures that I can take along with me?
These are some of the questions that you need to prepare before visiting your doctor.