The doctor might ask questions to determine your sleep-awake pattern. There are some simple tests done. They include:
- The doctor might request for an overnight sleep test (polysomnogram). This test is frequently done in labs by doctor specialized in sleep labs.
- Taking the sleep history of a patient is helpful in evaluation.
- Routine medications, drug or alcohol use, stressful life, work schedule, or sleeping habits of the bed partner are discussed with the patient.
- The Epworth Sleepiness scale is a questionnaire is used to assess daytime sleepiness.
- Actigraphy is another technique where a small device is worn on the wrist that measures movement.